“The most valuable part of hosting a VISTA is having the luxury of another full-time staff member. Each brings a different aptitude for various major projects that BMC undertakes. Some excel at grant writing, some have a propensity for social media and technology and others enjoy event planning and fundraising. My job is to figure out in which area they shine and let them focus in that area.” ~Amy E., Supervisor
Our project wants every member to have a rewarding experience when they serve. Therefore, organizations interested in hosting one of our VISTA members must adhere to our project guidelines and policies.
Host sites must:
- Contribute monetarily to support project administration and member development
- Provide VISTA members with resources to perform their tasks, i.e. adequate workspace, computer, telephone, consumable supplies, etc.
- Ensure VISTA members are working on appropriate assignments that build capacity within the organization, as outlined in the member’s VISTA Assignment Description (VAD)
- Provide VISTA members with weekly supervision and support
- Reimburse VISTA members for on-the-job transportation
- Support VISTA emmbers participation in project activities such as trainings, service days, and professional development opportunities
- Communicate with Project Director if concerns arise during the term of service
- Sign a Memorandum of Agreement with Allegheny College/Lake Effect Leaders